Job Title: Class “C” MECHANIC
Reports To: Director of Maintenance
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
All new mechanics are hired directly into a Class “C” Mechanic position. A Class “C” mechanic shall with minimum supervision satisfactorily and safely perform inspections and simple repairs to company transit fleet and/or equipment as assigned by a supervisor.
- Perform preventative maintenance inspections of company transit fleet to include routine servicing such as oil and filter changes and lubrication.
- Ability to accurately diagnose and repair applicable engines, transmissions, drive-line, rear-ends, steering and air brake systems, suspension, electrical, lighting systems and wheelchair lifts.
- Perform repairs on heating, ventilating and air conditioning systems with supervision.
- Perform comprehensive preventative maintenance procedures and maintain records and logs on company transit vehicle and other vehicles.
- Required to work and/or assist with road calls and pulls off as needed.
- Ensure all required duty checklists are completed and accurate in compliance with company policy
- Performs other related duties as assigned by Supervisor
- Maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Skilled in the repair and replacement of broken, defective parts on diesel powered drive trains.
- Ability to lubricate and clean vehicle parts when necessary.
- Ability to replace and adjust headlights, and install and repair automotive accessories such as mirrors and windshield wipers.
- Ability to properly identify and use standard mechanical tools and equipment.
- Ability to properly use and identify both gas and electrical welding equipment.
- Ability to safely operate a hydraulic lift, forklift, and other machinery required to complete needed mechanical repair work and maintenance.
- Ability to competently read and interpret vehicle and equipment service manuals.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- MUST have valid Driver’s License with the ability to obtain a Commercial Driver’s License with Passenger Endorsement within 120 days of employment.
- MUST have a complete set of mechanic tools.
- MUST be available to work varying shifts to include days, nights, weekends and holidays.
- MUST be able to pass physical agility tests with no limitations on upper or lower back.
- MUST be able to walk, stoop, kneel, bend, push and/or pull to complete moderate to heavy lifting when necessary to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Ability to work in varying weather conditions.
- Ability to work independently and to carry out assignments to completion within parameters of instructions given, prescribed routines, and standard accepted practices within 60 days of employment.
- Knowledge of transit bus and/or automotive systems (I.e. mechanical, electrical, air conditioning, pneumatic, hydraulic, or other systems)
- Knowledge of compressed natural gas and cleaning solvents.
All positions are Safety Sensitive and subject to pre-employment requirements to include: drug test, background check, and clean driving record.
Eligible applicants will have no more than two (2) moving violations in the past five years and no convictions of a serious traffic violation (i.e., DWI, driving with a suspended, canceled or revoked license) in the past five years.
SporTran provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, SporTran complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation and training.
Shreveport Transit Management, Inc. operates the SporTran public transit system for Shreveport and Bossier City. We provide fixed route bus service and ADA paratransit service through our LiftLine brand. Buses and vans operate from approximately 5:00am to 1:30am Monday-Saturday and from 8:00am to 5pm on Sundays. Our maintenance facility operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
I understand and agree that the information provided on my application is true and accurate to the best of my knowledge. Any misrepresentation or deliberate omission of any fact on my application, resume or any other materials submitted will be sufficient for rejection of my application for consideration. PLEASE ALLOW 24-72 HOURS BEFORE CHECKING ON THE STATUS OF YOUR APPLICATION TO PERMIT SCREENING FOR POSITION ELIGIBILITY.
The below listed positions are continuous job postings and do not represent a current vacancy for employment. Applications are accepted for these positions on a continuous basis. Pursuant to company policy, applications will remain actively on file for one year from Date of Submission. If your qualifications are identified as a match for a current opening, you may be contacted for an interview.
- Bus Operator
- ParaTransit Operator
- Utility Worker
Company Website: www.sportran.org
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)