Job Title: BUS OPERATOR
Reports To: DIRECTOR OF TRANSPORTATION
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Applicants must have a valid Commercial Driver's License with Passenger Endorsement for job consideration.
- Safely operates transit buses in revenue service according to the State of Louisiana traffic regulations, transporting passengers over established city routes according to required time schedule.
- Collects and counts passenger fares and verifies valid passes and identification cards.
- Conduct ridership surveys, reports bus stop and bus shelter problems, delays due to accidents, street closures, and passenger misconduct incidents.
- Provides passengers with information regarding bus routes, answers service questions and announces major bus stops and transfer points.
- Enforce company policies regulating passenger conduct.
- Operates other bus related equipment including wheelchair lifts, ramps and two way radio systems.
DESIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Skilled in safe driving practices and good public relations.
- Ability to communicate effectively both oral and written including presentation abilities.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective and cooperative working relationship with co-workers, supervisors, other company employees, city officials and the general public using courtesy, tact, and good judgment.
- Ability to deal with difficult situations and understand the views and concerns of others.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a diverse workforce.
- Ability to work in varying weather conditions.
- Ability to work independently and to carry out assignments to completion within parameters of instructions given, prescribed routines, and standard accepted practices within 60 days of employment.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- MUST be at least 21 years of age or older and possess Commercial Driver's License with Passenger Endorsement.
- MUST be available to work varying shifts to include days, nights, weekends and holidays.
- MUST be able to pass physical agility tests with no limitations on upper or lower back.
- MUST be able to walk, kneel, bend, push and/or pull to complete moderate to heavy lifting when necessary to perform the essential functions of the position.
- MUST be available to work the extra board six days per week after successful completion of orientation and training.
Following a 6-month probationary period, successful candidate must be able to perform all essential duties satisfactorily with minimum supervision.
All positions are Safety Sensitive and require pre-employment drug testing; background checks; clean driving records and applicants must be able to work flexible shifts.
Require that applicants have no more than two (2) moving violations in the past five years and no convictions of a serious traffic violation (i.e., DWI, driving with a suspended, canceled or revoked license) in the past five years.
SporTran provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, SporTran complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfers, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Shreveport Transit Management, Inc. operates the SporTran public transit system for Shreveport and Bossier City. We provide fixed route bus service and ADA paratransit service through our LiftLine brand. Buses and vans operate from approximately 5:00am to 1:30am Monday-Saturday and from 8:00am to 5pm on Sundays. Our maintenance facility operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
I understand and agree that the information provided on my application is true and accurate to the best of my knowledge. Any misrepresentation or deliberate omission of any fact on my application, resume or any other materials submitted will be sufficient for rejection of my application for consideration. PLEASE ALLOW 24-72 HOURS BEFORE CHECKING ON THE STATUS OF YOUR APPLICATION TO PERMIT SCREENING FOR POSITION ELIGIBILITY.
The below listed positions are continuous job postings and do not represent a current vacancy for employment. Applications are accepted for these positions on a continuous basis. Pursuant to company policy, applications will remain actively on file for one year from Date of Submission. If your qualifications are identified as a match for a current opening, you may be contacted for an interview.
- Bus Operator
- ParaTransit Operator
- Utility Worker
Company Website: www.sportran.org
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)