Title: Director of Marketing and Communications
The Shreveport Area Transit System (SporTran) is seeking a Director of Marketing and Communications with the skills and abilities to also serve as the organization’s public information officer with responsibility for managing of media and community relations.
The Director of Marketing and Communications will oversee planning and implementation of effective marketing programs to increase the use of transit, enhance the image and reputation of SporTran, and provide for greater understanding of transit’s vital role in the community. The successful applicant to this leadership position will be responsible for the strategic direction of public relations, media relations and marketing.
The person in this position will be responsible for developing marketing programs to promote transit services and will identify news stories for mass media and internal and external publications. The incumbent oversees the writing, editing, design, conceptualization, development and coordination of a variety of communications, including media, newsletters, and promotional materials. This opportunity is ideal for an experienced marketing, communications and public relations professional interested in furthering their expertise in a public transit setting.
The ideal candidate will be a strategic as well as a process-minded leader with experience managing marketing functions and activities of a large organization, including the development of advertising campaigns, strategies and plans. We are seeking a person with strong spokesperson skills that is comfortable being interviewed by newspaper reports, speaking publicly in front of community groups, and giving television interviews.
- Communicates with media regarding SporTran positions, policies, and events; participates in interviews with media representatives often with limited time to prepare. Acts as Company spokesperson / public information officer, making speeches and public appearances, and representing the Company at press conferences.
- Manages and promotes the SporTran consumer website and oversees the administration of SporTran social media accounts.
- Responsible for developing the SporTran brand, copyrighted logo and other public customer facing graphics. Manages all internal and external marketing communication, public information, and community relations.
- Under tight deadlines, prepares letters, messages, articles, press releases, talking points and other printed materials for use by the Managing Director and the news media.
- Coordinates media (press) events; participates in planning of events, often with internal or external partners; develops media kits and press releases; contacts media in order to ensure participation and attends events; works with community groups to provide information on transit and supports community events in which SporTran participates.
- Advises SporTran leaders about and other internal stakeholders on mass communication messaging strategies and effective public information techniques to aid in accomplishing objectives.
- Responsible for building and maintaining budget for Marketing Department, including advertising budget. Manages fare sales programs and advertising programs. Approves of spending for the Marketing Department.
- Manages staff that develops consumer information, ensuring accuracy of materials. Directs staff that manage business/institutional sales programs such as TouchPass. Assists SporTran in ensuring compliance with government standards under the ADA and Title VI for Limited English Proficiency.
- Develops long range strategic, marketing and customer service objectives. Uses performance measures and key statistics. Conducts consumer research.
- Develops annual marketing plan including goals and strategies. Plans and manages marketing budgets and administers grants for marketing support. Executes annual marketing plan, and provides timely reporting on plans, progress, issues and results.
- Oversees staff that administers contracts for on-bus and shelter advertising. Manages and monitors business aspects of marketing, including oversight of consultants and service providers: advertising agencies, graphic designers, research firms, printing industry partners, etc.
- Builds internal relationships to serve internal clients, problem solve and to ensure a cohesive approach to communicating company-wide initiatives and accomplishments.
- Develops effective external relationships by representing Company on boards, committees, and special task forces when requested.
- Provides oversight and leadership to SporTran customer service center and coordinates the flow of internal customer information/messaging to optimize the external facing information for riders.
- Experience as a spokesperson or public information officer that successfully represented an organization in front of news media and with the public.
- A Bachelor’s degree or Work Experience in marketing, advertising, journalism, public relations or a related field and at least 5 years of professional experience is required. Minimum 3 to 5 years of management experience is required.
- Knowledge of current advertising and marketing trends. Knowledge of advertising and marketing principles and best practices. Knowledge of spokesperson/public information officer principles and best practices.
- Demonstrates a strong understanding of media relations. Knowledge of the Shreveport Urbanized Area Media / Advertising Market.
- Experience in project management techniques, including budgeting, scheduling, scoping and quality control. A track record of on-budget, on-time, and within scope project delivery.
- Knowledge of the political process at local, state and federal levels.
Compensation & Benefits
SporTran offers an excellent fringe benefits package which includes:
- Health and Dental Insurance that becomes effective on your 60 day of employment
- 401K Match
- Eye Wear Reimbursement
- Health Care Flexible Spending Account
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment Policy for salaried employees
- Company-Paid Term Life Insurance
- Optional Life Insurance
- Paid Vacation
- Personal Days
- Sick Days
- Paid Holidays
- Funeral Leave
- Jury Duty wage reimbursement
- Free employee bus pass
All positions are Safety Sensitive and require pre-employment drug testing; background checks; clean driving records and applicants must be able to work flexible shifts.
Require that applicants have no more than two (2) moving violations in the past five years and no convictions of a serious traffic violation (i.e., DWI, driving with a suspended, canceled or revoked license) in the past five years.
SporTran provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, SporTran complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfers, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Shreveport Transit Management, Inc. operates the SporTran public transit system for Shreveport and Bossier City. We provide fixed route bus service and ADA paratransit service through our LiftLine brand. Buses and vans operate from approximately 5:00am to 1:30am Monday-Saturday and from 8:00am to 5pm on Sundays. Our maintenance facility operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
I understand and agree that the information provided on my application is true and accurate to the best of my knowledge. Any misrepresentation or deliberate omission of any fact on my application, resume or any other materials submitted will be sufficient for rejection of my application for consideration. PLEASE ALLOW 24-72 HOURS BEFORE CHECKING ON THE STATUS OF YOUR APPLICATION TO PERMIT SCREENING FOR POSITION ELIGIBILITY.
The below listed positions are continuous job postings and do not represent a current vacancy for employment. Applications are accepted for these positions on a continuous basis. Pursuant to company policy, applications will remain actively on file for one year from Date of Submission. If your qualifications are identified as a match for a current opening, you may be contacted for an interview.
- Bus Operator
- ParaTransit Operator
- Utility Worker
Company Website: www.sportran.org
(if you already have a resume on Indeed)